[fonc] Communicating with Aliens Problem
Shawn Vincent
2014-04-07 02:01:03 UTC
Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am very interested in learning more about the state of the art in the
"communicating with aliens" problem mentioned here and other places.

What techniques have been developed or considered for this?

One technique I have seen references to are method locators (referenced in
the VPRI published papers). Are there other techniques as well?

Any pointers to information would be most welcome.

Thanks very much!
-Shawn.
Alan Moore
2014-04-07 23:03:28 UTC
[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]

translated: so long and thanks for all the fish :-)

Smile...

Alan M.
Post by Shawn Vincent
Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster.
I am very interested in learning more about the state of the art in the
"communicating with aliens" problem mentioned here and other places.
What techniques have been developed or considered for this?
One technique I have seen references to are method locators (referenced in
the VPRI published papers). Are there other techniques as well?
Any pointers to information would be most welcome.
Thanks very much!
-Shawn.
*"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power, and magic in it. Begin it now."* - *Goethe*
Ed Spittles
2014-04-08 10:02:38 UTC
Hmm, quite a test of Unicode!

'FACE WITH ROLLING EYES' not in unicode. Perhaps use
'FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE' (U+1F61C)
'SPARKLES' (U+2728)
'FEARFUL FACE' (U+1F628)
'PERSON RAISING BOTH HANDS IN CELEBRATION' (U+1F64C)
'FERRIS WHEEL' (U+1F3A1)
'DOLPHIN' (U+1F42C)

In a suitably unicode-capable setup, that should be:
😜✚😚🙌🎡🐬

(And perhaps in a less capable setup, some substitution using the unicode
descriptions would be ideal?)

Cheers
Ed
[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]
Stephen Kell
2014-04-08 11:22:05 UTC
Post by Shawn Vincent
I am very interested in learning more about the state of the art in
the "communicating with aliens" problem mentioned here and other
places.
What techniques have been developed or considered for this?
Greetings from another lurker. I somehow mostly missed the previous
discussion here on this topic. (Now I look, "90% glue code" is a good
summary of the status quo; will revisit that thread soon.) Anyway...

... I did write a PhD thesis about some work in this area: linking
software that doesn't have matched interfaces. Note that there's
nothing distributed about this work. Sadly it's not a great thesis by
any means; I don't want to build it up. But if you wanted to read
something not too long, there was an OOPSLA paper in 2010 (that would
be delighted to have somebody read it :-).
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1869459.1869487> (or Google me for a
non-paywalled copy, or for the thesis...).

I had/have a whole raft of follow-up work that I would like to do. In
short, declaratively specifying your glue is the first step towards
generating it automatically. There's a lot that could be done. Sadly
this whole area seems too cold to get research funding by any means I
know right now.

Stephen