[fonc] Really nice presentation of the VPRI project
karl ramberg
2013-11-08 12:12:24 UTC
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/squeaker/20131103#p1

http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/AGERE2013/AGERESlides.pdf (33 Mb)

Cheers,
Karl
Yoshiki Ohshima
2013-11-09 01:33:24 UTC
Thank you, Karl!

An interesting thing happened at the conference (I'ts about David
Ungar asking a question to type theorists). I wrote about it (in
Japanese):

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/squeaker/20131101#p1
-- Yoshiki
Yoshiki Ohshima
2013-11-09 07:24:56 UTC
Post by Yoshiki Ohshima
Thank you, Karl!
An interesting thing happened at the conference (I'ts about David
Ungar asking a question to type theorists). I wrote about it (in
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/squeaker/20131101#p1
I gather that letting Google to translate it is a bad idea; so I
attempted to do it by myself.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/squeaker/20131109#p1
-- Yoshiki
Loup Vaillant-David
2013-11-09 09:37:02 UTC
I don't understand the first link... Am I supposed to find a video
recording there?

Loup.
Karl
Yoshiki Ohshima
2013-11-11 18:43:55 UTC
At Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:37:02 +0100,
Post by Loup Vaillant-David
I don't understand the first link... Am I supposed to find a video
recording there?
There is no video recording but only the slides in the PDF file. I'm
afrait that some of the stuff in it may not make sense unless
accompanied by commentary.

-- Yoshiki
Brian Rice
2013-11-11 19:11:04 UTC
Well, I certainly appreciate the effort and can fill in some details from
how long we've been tracking the project externally. That said, I look
forward to some more concrete and hopefully interactive details. Right now,
it's difficult for me to communicate this to others except in person with a
lot of hand-waving.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima
-Brian T. Rice
Yoshiki Ohshima
2013-11-14 17:48:38 UTC
I still want to release Frank for example... We revised the syntax of
KScript during the its life time and still many parts of it is written
in the old syntax. Yes, it is about 10,000 lines of code, but it is
still some work to convert them all.

A movie of demo would be good, yes.

Thank you for the interest!
Post by Brian Rice
Well, I certainly appreciate the effort and can fill in some details from
how long we've been tracking the project externally. That said, I look
forward to some more concrete and hopefully interactive details. Right now,
it's difficult for me to communicate this to others except in person with a
lot of hand-waving.
-- Yoshiki
Reuben Thomas
2013-11-14 19:06:03 UTC
Post by Yoshiki Ohshima
I still want to release Frank for example... We revised the syntax of
KScript during the its life time and still many parts of it is written
in the old syntax. Yes, it is about 10,000 lines of code, but it is
still some work to convert them all.
Please do release it then. If it doesn't work, or it's not fully
up-to-date, don't worry, many of us would still love to see it.
David Girle
2013-11-15 06:13:29 UTC
Figure 1 of TR-2013-002, "KScript and KSWorld ... " would appear to
indicate the headless piece of Frank might be 2-3,000 LOC ?
Would that be a possible first step to publish, before the full 10,000 LOC ?

david

Post by Brian Rice
lot of hand-waving.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <
Julian Leviston
2013-11-15 06:42:38 UTC
I'm curious, does Frank and its precursors (sub-cursors?) include sound, or only visual languages?

Julian
Post by Brian Rice
Well, I certainly appreciate the effort and can fill in some details from
how long we've been tracking the project externally. That said, I look
forward to some more concrete and hopefully interactive details. Right now,
it's difficult for me to communicate this to others except in person with a
lot of hand-waving.
Yoshiki Ohshima
2013-11-15 16:32:43 UTC
At Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:42:38 +1100,
Post by Julian Leviston
I'm curious, does Frank and its precursors (sub-cursors?) include sound, or only visual languages?
Some sound processing was experimented in Nile, and a small
application to control it was written in KSWorld, but the Frank
document editor never provided a real sound features.

-- Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima
2013-11-15 16:31:02 UTC
At Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:13:29 -0700,
Post by David Girle
Figure 1 of TR-2013-002, "KScript and KSWorld ... " would appear to
indicate the headless piece of Frank might be 2-3,000 LOC ?
Would that be a possible first step to publish, before the full 10,000 LOC ?
That may be an option, right.

-- Yoshiki