[fonc] Programming Language Theory Stack Exchange
David Barbour
2014-09-27 14:29:26 UTC
A proposed stack exchange for programming language theory has reached
commitment phase. It needs two hundred people. If you're interested in PL,
please participate:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/65167?phase=commitment
Miles Fidelman
2014-09-27 14:37:41 UTC
Post by David Barbour
A proposed stack exchange for programming language theory has reached
commitment phase. It needs two hundred people. If you're interested in
For those not aware of it, the starting point for discussions of
programming language theory is http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/

Miles Fidelman
In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra
Julian Leviston
2014-09-28 01:20:32 UTC
Hehe that's interesting. I'd never associated LTU with modern languages. I'm not sure why. Possibly because of the archaic UX and UI. It's incredibly difficult to parse.

http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need GetContented - Get Your Website Happy. :)
Trevor Wennblom
Julian Leviston
2014-09-28 03:05:12 UTC
I think because of a lack of overview. When you go there initially, you're immediately reading the latest article, which, if you understand the context and what the site is, is fine... but if you don't, then it can be confusing.

Julian

http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need GetContented - The Best Thing Since Sliced Websites! :)
How so Julian? Hehe.
Trevor Wennblom
Miles Fidelman
2014-09-28 04:12:38 UTC
Silly question, perhaps, but isn't that true of a stack exchange site as
well?
Post by Julian Leviston
I think because of a lack of overview. When you go there initially,
you're immediately reading the latest article, which, if you
understand the context and what the site is, is fine... but if you
don't, then it can be confusing.
Julian
http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need *GetContented *-**The Best
Thing Since Sliced Websites! :)
Post by Trevor Wennblom
How so Julian? Hehe.
Hehe that's interesting. I'd never associated LTU with modern
languages. I'm not sure why. Possibly because of the archaic UX
and UI. It's incredibly difficult to parse.
http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need *GetContented *-**Get
Your Website Happy. :)
Julian Leviston
2014-09-28 04:45:56 UTC
Nope...

If you go here:
http://stackoverflow.com

...you'll notice that there's a clear heading saying "top questions", and it's very clear that there are questions and answers under that. Particularly the "Ask Question" button on its own. The structure, design and layout of the site informs the purpose very clearly.

Contrast this with the freeform wiki nature of LTU which doesn't really have a layout...

Julian.

http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need GetContented - Make Websites, Not War!
Post by Julian Leviston
I think because of a lack of overview. When you go there initially, you're immediately reading the latest article, which, if you understand the context and what the site is, is fine... but if you don't, then it can be confusing.
Julian
http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need *GetContented *-**The Best Thing Since Sliced Websites! :)
How so Julian? Hehe.
Post by Miles Fidelman
Post by David Barbour
A proposed stack exchange for programming language theory has
reached commitment phase. It needs two hundred people. If
For those not aware of it, the starting point for discussions of
programming language theory is http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/
Miles Fidelman
-- In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra
Miles Fidelman
2014-09-28 13:36:58 UTC
You're assuming that Q&A is a good way to discuss a topic in depth.
Personally, I don't. (IMHO) Stack exchange is great for technical
support, and quick research into questions - not so great for discussing
topics in depth.

For the avowed purpose of "influenc(ing) and foster(ing) interest, in
the development of new programming languages" I kind of think of "ACM
Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems."

For "learn(ing) more about the subject or hav(ing) their doubts
elucidated" I think of a good textbook.

For interactive discussion - I personally find blog format (essay +
function).

Again - just one man's opinion.
Nope...
Post by Julian Leviston
I think because of a lack of overview. When you go there initially,
you're immediately reading the latest article, which, if you
understand the context and what the site is, is fine... but if you
don't, then it can be confusing.
Julian
http://www.getcontented.com.au/ - You Need *GetContented *-**The
Best Thing Since Sliced Websites! :)
Post by Trevor Wennblom
How so Julian? Hehe.
On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Julian Leviston
David Barbour
2014-09-28 14:23:45 UTC
Post by Miles Fidelman
You're assuming that Q&A is a good way to discuss a topic in depth.
I believe you're misreading Julian. AFAICT, he's said nothing about the
utility of the discussions on each site.

Q&A can be good for depth - see Socratic method. But a site like
StackExchange doesn't support follow-up questions to take advantage of that
point.

I believe a PL StackExchange site can fill a niche that LtU does not.
Josh McDonald
2014-09-29 04:05:58 UTC
For anybody interested in this sort of site: I while ago I found myself
asking for something "more frequently updated and less-demanding of a math
degree" than LtU, but without all the "silicon valley VC navelgazing" of
HN. A friend pointed me to https://lobste.rs/ which so far seems to have a
nice balance.

Cheers,
-Josh