[Fonc] Trying to get original version of Maru running
j***@gmail.com
2016-03-23 11:07:26 UTC
Hi Ian,

I'm studying the original version of Maru for educational purposes. The
instructions say:

Maru runs on Linux, Darwin (Mac OS X) and Windows (Cygwin and/or MinGW). On
Linux just type make, otherwise edit the first part of emit.l appropriately
first.

But there are only 3 files, and no Makefile. I've followed the Makefile
from the current version somewhat, but the build process fails during
assembly of eval.s. I'm sure it would be much easier if there were an
existing Makefile for the original version. Is that still in existence
anywhere?

thanks!
Jonathon McKitrick
j***@gmail.com
2016-03-23 13:33:28 UTC
Very helpful, thanks! Just what I was looking for.
Post by j***@gmail.com
But there are only 3 files, and no Makefile. I've followed the Makefile
from the current version somewhat, but the build process fails during
assembly of eval.s. I'm sure it would be much easier if there were an
existing Makefile for the original version. Is that still in existence
anywhere?
I made local archives of the various Maru versions when they were first
released (1.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.4).
Here are the Makefile and README files from version 1.0 of Maru, which I
I’ve also had fun exploring Maru. I started taking some rudimentary
notes, documenting the latest version; they might be helpful with the
— tim
Jonathon McKitrick
Attila Lendvai
2016-03-23 13:49:17 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Very helpful, thanks! Just what I was looking for.
FYI, the files/links didn't come through to the mailing list. maybe
you could put it online somewhere and include a link?

i've also played around with maru, here's my repo:

https://github.com/attila-lendvai/maru/tree/official

it doesn't (yet) contain the first simple version of maru, but it does
contain an almost working bootstrap interpreter written in common lisp
(in the lisp-bootstrap branch).
--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
freedom.
Attila Lendvai
2016-03-23 14:35:13 UTC
thanks!

FTR, i have added a 'minimal' branch to my repo that contains Ian's
version (http://piumarta.com/software/maru/original/) and your
makefile.

https://github.com/attila-lendvai/maru/tree/minimal

as it is in the repo it builds and bootstraps fine on my linux x86_64.

your files have some changes and the build doesn't yield the same asm
file, so i didn't push them for now.

also, didn't you miss uploading eval.l? maybe that's why i had the
diff of the .asm files?
--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
— Dan Millman
Attila Lendvai
2016-03-23 15:00:44 UTC
Post by Attila Lendvai
your files have some changes and the build doesn't yield the same asm
file, so i didn't push them for now.
Looking at the date stamps, it looks like the original version I
grabbed was from Jan 2011, while the version on Ian’s site in
sofware/maru/original is from Apr / May 2011. So there appears to
have been some additional development during that timeframe.
oh, and i've also realized that that git repo of mine has the full
history from hg, and whatever revision i've pushed as the minimal
branch must be there somewhere.

i'll try to identify it and fork off the minimal branch from there (be
warned: that will be a rewrite of git history).
--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
— Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (1922–2007)
Kim Rose
2016-03-26 01:31:59 UTC
Hello,

I am forwarding Ian's reply to all. He has issues posting directly to the fonc list.

-- Kim
Subject: Re: [Fonc] Trying to get original version of Maru running
Date: March 26, 2016 10:28:49 AM GMT+09:00
Dear Jonathon,
Sorry for the omission. The original page was hosted at googlecode and so the Makefile was easy to grab from the directory listing. I have added a link to the Makefile from the Maru page on my web server.
I tested the bootstrap process today on a 64-bit Mac running 10.10 and had no problems. I think it is quite likely that everything still works on the other platforms too.
Have fun!
Regards,
Ian
Attila Lendvai
2016-03-27 21:12:04 UTC
Post by Kim Rose
I am forwarding Ian's reply to all. He has issues posting directly to the fonc list.
thanks!

i've recorded Ian's original Makefile into my minimal branch and push
-f the amended commits:

https://github.com/attila-lendvai/maru/tree/minimal
--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
--
“There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only
science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without