unknown
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
But for the *cycle accurate simulation* Maru has to have notion of time or
to use in some way the object oriented features (send messages to objects).
It is area in which I do not have much knowledge. I also personally spend
most of time thinking before produce any code. For example, it took me one
year to find the solution of a problem. The time to create the solution as
simple expression in Maru took me 2 weeks including the time to learn the
basics of Maru.

Regards,
Iliya
Dear Ilya,
I've been wanting to experiment with a Linear Lisp in Maru for a long time.
Do you have a mailing-list to discuss and/or public repository to work
with?
Regarding practical programming with Linear Types, see Jesse Tov's thesis
at
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~tov/pubs/dissertation/
Jesse also recommends reading about Nikhil Swamy's work on Fine and Fstar.
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/nswamy/papers/
And if you are into foundational theories,
you could give a look at Computability Logic.
PS: Sorry for a reply long in the making — I'm just out of
a long procrastination period and ran out of excuses
(having nailed the coffin on ASDF, a quick-build extension for it,
and the Lisp-Interface-Library using that).
—♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics•
http://fare.tunes.org
If you argue and rankle and contradict, you may achieve a victory
sometimes;
but it will be an empty victory because you will never get your opponent's
good will. — Benjamin Franklin
I would like to make a simulator of a Lisp Machine. If it is successful,
then I will program a FPGA with Linear Lisp and use Lisp-like
interpreter to
execute programs over it. My main motivation is to be able to understand
and
change the system as I want. The system should be as simple as possible.
The history of the ideas in computer science is used as a method of the
research. The ideas of different LISP Machine theoretic models were
found.
They differentiate in the type of register or type of structure and the
instructions. The Linear Lisp model seems encouraging for the purposes.
It
uses finite state machine with pointer register, data structure with
unity
reference counts (tree?) and omits the usage of garbage collector. [1]
Also
the interpreter for Linear Lisp is already created. So efforts in this
direction will be saved. Maru language is proposed for the
implementation of
the simulator, because it is not bounded to its own structure.
1. Is it possible to make "data structure with unity reference counts" in
Maru? This is crucial for such a simulator.
2. Do you know of example that describes real finite state machine with
pointer register? Most papers in this topic seems to be just theory. [2]
1. Publication on Linear Lisp theoretic model -
http://home.pipeline.com/~hbaker1/LinearLisp.html
2. Pointer machine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_machine
--001a11c3145ca9c11b04e878acf6